In order to maintain a consistent experience across the many pages of the site, users are recommended to follow this guidance when creating pages:
Mediwikis avoids taking a political or ethical stance, so write in a neutral, objective, third person stance.
- Example- "The NICE guidelines recommend the following treatment..." NOT "I think it's only decent to treat the patient with..."
- Example- "Some religious groups consider the principle of euthanasia to be immoral" NOT "Euthanasia is immoral"
Naming a page
- Page Titles - Use full disease/section title where possible, rather than acronyms or eponyms. Avoid adding "A" or "The" before a title.
- Example- "Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease" NOT COPD
All pages should begin with a short summary (<100 words). This should set the scene for the page by explaining in a few short sentences what the topic is.
Diseases & Conditions
The standard information that should be conveyed when discussing a medical condition includes:
- This includes the population in which a condition occurs
- Aetiology/Risk Factors
- Clinical Features (note that this includes both signs and symptoms)
- Investigation (anything that is not performed at the patient's bedside)
- Management (this is preferred to "Treatment")
- Avoid using CAPITALS for emphasis, instead use three apostrophes either side of the word
- Use italics where quotes are supplied
- Use bold sparingly
- Never underline text
Categories are used to group the pages, and make them visible in the category links on each hub page.
- Categories- Broadly speaking, use those that already exist (here). Anyone can create a new category to group the page