Commonly known as a stomach bug, this is characterised by inflammation of the gastric tract
- Blood loss- in diarrhoea, or haematemesis
Most commonly caused by viruses:
- Stool microscopy
- Stool culture
- Blood Cultures
- Endoscopic mucosal specimens
- Replace and monitor fluids
- Anti-diarrhoeals should not be used, but anti-spasmodics such as buscapan may limit pain.
- Should not be given in dysentery
- Antibiotics aren't usually indicated, except in riskier patients- the old, the young, and the immunocompromised
- Should be moved to side room and barrier nursed.
- Be aware of impact on occupation- food handlers and healthcare workers need 48 hours D&V free before they can return to work