There are two parts to this, first knowing the vaccination schedule and second dealing with the explanation.
Vaccination Schedule for England and Wales
This can be found here: Vaccination Schedule
- Introductions, consent
- Check what the patient (e.g. 'concerned mother') already knows
- Ask what they would like you to do, (e.g. 'in the time we have today what would be most helpful for me to cover?')
- Confirm any concerns
- Clarify if the child has any known allergies or had any previous vaccinations?
- Go through the vaccination schedule (if that is what they want!)
- Chunk and check as you are going to make sure they are following
- Try drawing a diagram or table as you are going and offer that the patient can take it away if they wish
- When you have covered the explanation, ask if there is anything they would like you to clarify
- Safety net and show empathy (e.g. 'we have covered a lot of information about vaccinations today, it can be a lot to take in so if you have any questions or queries just get back in contact with me and I will be happy to help')
- Thank the patient