History of presenting complaint
Most symptoms can be investigated in a manner similar to using SOCRATES:
- Rash - colour, size, shape, raised? Spread/evolution?
- Itch-sleep disturbance?
- Lumps, bumps and swellings
- Discharge-pus, scales, blood?
- Disruption of daily life
- ICE of symptoms-psychological impact!
Note that dermatological conditions are often representative of disease within the body, so carry out a full systems review.
Past Medical History/Drug History:
- Previous skin disease
- Atopy(Asthma,Hayfever, Eczema)
- Recent medication changes
- Drugs(inc. OTCs) taken to combat above symptoms, and their effectiveness.
- Anyone else in the family affected? (i.e. Scabies)
- Occupation & impact on symptoms- any harmful chemicals?
- Family history of Psoriasis/Eczema
- Sun exposure- chronic mild exposure ("Enjoys gardening") and short bursts of high-exposure (sunbeds, burns on holiday)