Chronic Illness History
Note that history taking from any patient should be tailored to their situation, this is just a list of important areas to cover.
- Introduce self
- Gain consent
- Smile :-)
- What are your current medical problems?
- What are your beliefs about this condition?
- Which one of those is most important to you? or If you could get rid of just one of the things you mentioned, which would it be?
- How did it start? How long ago was that?
- What did you think it was? Was there anything you were worried it might be?
- How did it feel to be diagnosed?
- What are you like now?
- Have the health professionals been supportive through your disease career?
- Appropriate to ask some screening questions here relevant to system
- How do you expect your condition to change in the future? How does that make you feel?
- What are the obstacles to your normal care?
- What impact has your condition had on your life?
- e.g. Cooking, cleaning, housework, going out, looking after pet, seeing family/friends, driving, shopping.
- Respond to impact appropriately
- What kind of house do you live in? e.g. residential home, house with stairs.
- Who's at home for you? Do you look after them, do they look after you, or are you both independent?
- Do you have any adaptations to your house to help you day to day?
- Do they make a big difference?
- Do you work?
- How has the condition affected your job?
- Has your job affected the condition?
- Do you get out of the house? Drive? Any adaptations: Sticks, Zimmer, Scooter.
- Smoking & Alcohol
- Have you thought about cutting down?
What medications do you take?
- Do they help?
- Do you have any side effects?
Do you have any allergies?
Are there any conditions that run in your family? Have they had anything similar to you?
- How do they do with it? How does that make you feel?
Do you care for your family or do they care for you?
Past Medical History- other conditions, how the multiple conditions affect one another.